Why Downsize? Or as we call it “Rightsizing”? Top 10 Rightsizing Tips:
- Start early and start with the Easy Stuff. Eliminate anything that is broken, damaged or no longer wanted. Tackle decluttering by category not by room i.e. clothes, papers etc.
- Ask for help from family and friends. Reliving the memories associated with your treasures is an important part of the downsizing process.
- Decide what is important – Do your items still bring you joy? If not, thank them and let them go.
- Value what you keep.
- Don’t be a storage unit for others. If friends or relatives have left things for you to store, it’s time to ask them to pick them up-be firm and set deadlines.
- The trick is to never handle an item more than once during this process.
- Once you pick it up: Trash it, Donate/Sell it, Rehome it or Pack it. Once you make a decision … stick to it.
- Set time limits so you do not become overwhelmed.
- Sorting clutter makes you feel good!
- It simplifies your life!